The Vice Chancellor’s Message
On behalf of the community of students and staff at Government College University, Lahore, I welcome you warmly to our webpages.
Since its inception in 1864, GCU Lahore has been one of the leading educational institutions in South Asia. We have pursued, nurtured and celebrated excellence in a wide variety of disciplines. It is no coincidence that our motto “Courage to Know” is a call to students and staff members alike to realize their fullest potential and the University’s mission.
We are honoured that the spiritual father of our nation, Allama Muhammad Iqbal, is an alumnus of GCU Lahore, and proud that two Nobel laureates, Har Gobind Khorana and Abdus Salam, also number amongst our past colleagues. Our students, young and old, have been contributing strongly to the shaping and development of Pakistan’s society and culture.
Entering into its 155th year, there is a lot to be proud of in our achievements yet, there is little time to rest on these laurels. The strategic need is to develop our potential and so maximize our contribution to the GCU within Lahore and the wider country. I have identified the following goals for my tenure as the VC:
- the strengthening of provision of high-quality education to our youth as part of our contribution towards the country-wide social investment currently under way
- to strengthen our research and innovation base and linkages to policy-making communities and in the process become a world-leading institute of applied research. As our first initiative, we are embarking on establishing a new research-based Public Health degree as well as setting up an international policy institute on population ageing
- to strengthen GCU’s links to national industry as well as extend our international collaborations
- to review the state of infrastructure to improve processes of admissions and appointments and enhance the quality of experiences of students and staff while at the GCU
- to maintain the strong GCU’s tradition of sports, cultural and social contributions by our societies and clubs
In my initial address to colleagues at the GCU in October 2019, I have pledged to initiate the changes necessary for these goals, with the ultimate aim of restoring this University to a place amongst the highest ranked universities in the world. I believe in the capacity of the our ability to rise to these challenges, and so lift up the profile of the University to its rightful place.
Generations of students, staff and alumni like yourself have added on to the repertoire of our great institution, and I am confident that future Ravians will carry on this tradition to the glory of their Alma Mater and our country. I look forward to working alongside you in serving this great institution and our homeland.
Prof. Dr. Ahmad Adnan